DBPapers
DOI: 10.5593/sgem2017/12/S02.116

THE IMPACT ON WATER PRODUCED BY MINING ACTIVITIES FROM TISMANA PERIMETER

N. M. Mihut, C. Radulescu
Sunday 10 September 2017 by Libadmin2017

References: 17th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM 2017, www.sgem.org, SGEM2017 Conference Proceedings, ISBN 978-619-7105-99-5 / ISSN 1314-2704, 29 June - 5 July, 2017, Vol. 17, Issue 12, 913-920 pp, DOI: 10.5593/sgem2017/12/S02.116

ABSTRACT

Groundwater constitutes the largest reservoir of freshwater in the world, representing more than 97% of all freshwater reserves available worldwide (excluding glaciers and ice caps). The remaining 3% is composed mainly of surface water (lakes, rivers, wetlands) and soil moisture. Until recently, attention for groundwater referred mainly to its use as drinking water (eg approx. 75% of people in the European Union depend on groundwater for water supply), but also it was recognized that they are an important resource for industry (eg. water cooling) and agriculture (irrigation). However, it became increasingly obvious that groundwater should be regarded not only as a water supply reservoir, but should be protected for their environmental value.
The work undertaken by EM Rovinari in Tismana career primarily affects the natural topography, morphology, waters from natural valleys being intercepted in gullies and channels and remodeled and groundwater being intercepted in drainage and then discharged into the main emissary. Due to this, the aquatic ecosystem has suffered and simply disappears and the reconstruction takes place naturally in the meantime with the ascension works. Hydro-static level and direction of natural flow is influenced by the opening trench of the career, rows of dewatering drilling having most aggressive impact because groundwater cannot recover, instead of natural layers of permeable materials hovering inner or outer dump, the dump heterogeneous material showing a mixture of waterproof and clay material and porous material.

Keywords: surface and underground water, water pollution, emissary, hydro-static level