ROCK MASS QUALITY EVALUATION IN BAKHTIARY DAM SITE USING SEISMIC METHODS
6th International Scientific Conference - SGEM2006, www.sgem.org, SGEM2006 Conference Proceedings/ ISBN: 954-918181-2, June 12-16, 2006, Vol. 1, 141-152 pp
This paper present a geophysical investigation performed for the Bakhtiary dam site in Iran. As it has been designed with 330 meter high, this dam would be the highest dam in the world. In the context of engineering seismology, seismic tomography may be relevant in problems where seismic refraction is currently used. Both of these techniques aim to detect subsurface velocity.
In Bakhtiary dam site we used seismic refraction, tomography and borehole seismic tomography methods. For refraction seismic method Geotomo software that employed the time-depth and seismic velocity analysis function of the generalized reciprocal method (GRM) was used. Six exploration Gallery and two boreholes are drilled in Bakhtiary dam that GR1, GR2, GR3 are in right abutment and GL1, GL2, and GL3 are in left abutment. Cross-hole, cross-galleries and also between main and inlet of galleries seismic tomography were designed and surveyed. We used Geotomo software that employed the LSQR method for inversion problems which is commonly used in travel time tomography. Velocity images in GR2 and section of GR2-GR3 show very low velocity. The result of velocity images obtained by the borehole tomography is compared with geology surveying and rock mechanic experiments. It is found that velocity images are in a good agreement with rock mechanics data and geology surveying.
Keywords: Bakhtiary dam, Refraction seismic, Seismic tomography, Rock mass quality, P-wave velocity.
PAPER 2006/s01.17: ROCK MASS QUALITY EVALUATION IN BAKHTIARY DAM SITE USING SEISMIC METHODS
25 EURO ADD TO CART
Your cart ( items)
Tax cost ():
Articles by this author
- ASSESSMENT OF THE CHARACTERISTICS AND METHODS FOR TREATMENT OF LANDFILL GAS, EXTRACTED FROM LANDFILL FOR NON- HAZARDOUS WASTE “SUHODOL”
- METHODOLOGICAL APPROACH FOR SELECTION OF POTENTIAL REGIONAL LANDFILL SITES ON THE TERRITORY OF BULGARIA
- TRACE ELEMENTS IN FLY ASHES FROM “VARNA”, “BOBOV DOL”, “MARITZA IZTOK I”, “MARITZA ІІІ”, „REPUBLIKA” AND “ROUSSE IZTOK” POWER PLANTS, BULGARIA
- AIR POLLUTION STUDIES AT THE GEOPHYSICAL INSTITUTE, BULGARIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
- NEUTRALIZATION OF HEAVY METALS IN WATER AND SOILS BY IMMOBILIZATION INTO INSOLUBLE COMPLEXES, INABSORBABLE BY PLANTS